By default, and when using the basic configuration in the quick-start page, your users will be able to register using an email without having to verify that email.
It also means they won't be able to change their password if they forget it.
You have two ways of solving this problem:
- Use the Admin Panel, if you are the admin, to manually change someone else's password
- Setup Sendgrid so that emails are verified, and recovery emails are sent if a user forgets their password
The latter is what we are going to setup in this guide.
Is it free?
Sendgrid is completely free up to a certain amount of emails per day. For a self-hosted instance, you are very unlikely to have to pay for it.
Get an account and API keys
- Go to Sendgrid's signup page and register
- On your account dashboard, go to
API Keysand finally
Create API Key
- Choose a name, then
Restricted Accessand toggle
Mail Send > Mail Send(see below)
- Click create, and then copy the key that you've created somewhere safe (we'll need it later)
Create the templates
We will need to create two templates, one for the verification email (the one sent after registration), and the other one for the password reset email.
- Go to
- Click on
Create a Dynamic Template, and name it
- On the created template, click on
- Select the blank template, and then the
- Add a Text field, and add the following content:
Please click on the email below to validate your email and start using Retrospected right away.
- Then save
- Create another dynamic template, this time named
Reset Password Email, create a new version, blank template and Design Editor
- Add a Text field and add the following content:
To reset your password, follow the link:
- Click save. You should now have two templates, with one version each, like this:
- Within each template, you have a
Template ID: copy the two of them (one for each template), we'll need them later.
Set the environement variables
We should now have all the information we need.
backend section of your
docker-compose.yml file, add the following variables:
SENDGRID_API_KEY: this is the API key you got in the first section of this guide
SENDGRID_SENDER: enter the email you used to create your Sendgrid account
SENDGRID_VERIFICATION_EMAIL_TID: this is the Template ID you created in the second section of this guide, for the verification email.
SENDGRID_RESET_PASSWORD_TID: this is the Template ID you created in the second section of this guide, for the password reset email.
BASE_URL: this is the URL to your self-hosted Retrospected (for example:
Now that it is setup, your users should now need to verify their email and will be able to reset their passwords themselves.